Mainstream Music and the Death of Creativity

Image

As someone who is a part of this community of music, I am often confronted with questions of my own conscience. I always have to ask myself if I am doing enough to propagate real music, music that is an authentic artistic expression. At the very least, music that objectively demonstrates effort, whether or not I find it aesthetically pleasing. More and more, I am finding the world I live in, namely a western society, becoming complacent in the music that is consumed by the masses. More importantly, the music that my generation and younger are responsible for supporting, both financially and verbally.  Fads come and go, and music itself is not dead (in fact, in all corners of the world it is quite alive), but the consumer market displays disturbing musical trends on a daily basis. The media then forces these trends on us, telling us that we will be in the wrong to oppose it. The Billboard Top 40 is loaded with artists that essentially copy each other, and yet they continue to rake in billions of dollars. Satirists and music journalists routinely make fun of the Justin Bieber/Kanye West/Taylor Swift paradigm (yes, I called them a paradigm), and yet in a sense through their constant wave of insult articles/TV segments keep these people popular. These individuals (among far too many more that dominate the airwaves) and their PR staff/record labels/managers shove their mass-produced/fast-food/emotionally-devoid/philosophically lacking/poorly structured bullshit down our throats, and millions upon millions accept it (and subsequently like the social media pages and buy the music on iTunes/Amazon or what have you).

I am inclined to blame more than anyone else the media. It is the media that, on a nearly daily basis, promotes these artists. They may say “oh, we’re just reporting the current trends.” I ask though, who is creating these trends? Only a small percentage of acts spread like wildfire via actions of the people (i.e. Youtube), and even then, such acts require corporate promotion to sustain a lucrative career. Whether we realize it or not, in many ways the powers that be (i.e. record labels, corporations, media outlets etc. etc.) control what is popular. Unfortunately, through implicit and explicit messages through advertising and a cooperation between the media (print/internet/television) and corporate powers (especially record labels), we are told what music will be the future. By god, we don’t want to be left out of the future do we?????

Even when artists come along that do inspire and shine a light into the cesspit that is the current music industry, they are often shoved aside (and if they aren’t, they may be frauds themselves). For instance, Lorde is touted as the antithesis to everything that her generation of musicians stand for (wealth, fame blah blah blah), and yet she is now (incrementally) personifying everything her song “Royals” says she’s against. In fact, if you are against something, you shouldn’t necessarily have to say it; it should be manifested in your actions.

If you watch the GRAMMY’s, you will notice the focus on the categories. Pretty much every one of these nomination categories demonstrates the plagiarism mentality, with every nominee essentially remixing the same concepts and sounds. There is rarely uniqueness, and when there is, it is greatly short-lived. The irony of all this is that there are far more categories of nominees that go unnoticed until a quick scrolling text at the show’s conclusion (if they are “lucky” enough to make that). In fact; most of the awards consist of performances from these mass-produced puppets of the industry, often taking up most of the show. Someone may protest “but Derek! It’s a celebration, of course there will be performances!” Duly noted, however, performances from whom? The charts toppers. But why are they charts toppers? Occasionally skill and hard work is the reason, but so often it is not (additionally, which charts are we looking at? Every system’s data produces different results). Most of the time people are on stage at the GRAMMYs taking credit for songs that they didn’t write, with choreography and staging they probably doubtfully created, promoting themselves and their fraudulent star power whilst spitting in the face of so many artists (nominated or not). The world is full of upper echelon musical talent, yet so many of these individuals die unnoticed with broken dreams. The world never got to hear their music, and why? Some asshole executives made the decision to produce and endlessly promote another fucking Miley Cyrus record, and oh look; Miley is now on 20/20 with Barbara Walters as one of the most fascinating people of the year!

I sound angry here, and guess what, I am. So often it is my own generation of 20-somethings (or younger) buying this crap. My generation is throwing cash at fast food junk music that sounds the same, a music that is a variation on a theme. Who loses out here? The musicians and composers who toil to make music that sounds like them, not someone else. The individuals who gig every day of the week, only to make a measly paycheck that can’t even pay the electric bill. They may have been trained at a fine music conservatory and are world-class musicians, yet society passes them by. Society has now become conditioned to consume this poison, this worthless crap called, in no uncertain terms, music. The glimmers of hope are so few and far between, and that fact should piss you off. Mainstream music is not, by default, an enemy. I’m not a hipster or one of those individuals who is against anything and everything that society is. However, when I see the community I belong to suffering because of the actions of its other members, and society in a large proportion accepting it, I am not going to shut up. I’m foaming at the mouth, and I want this shit stopped. You’ve got to help me. Boycott this crap, vocalize your rage. Make sure music that is true artistic expression (whether in the mainstream or the underground) is heard. Write petitions, stop the madness. I’m done, we are all done. I’m not going to have my children grow up in a world that Miles Davis, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Jimi Hendrix, John Bonham and Ravi Shankar are unknown to their generation or are considered to be for the old folks. Fuck that, we need to bring musicians of their caliber to the forefront. I refuse to let the bar continue to drop. We see it everyday, the progressive acceptance of worthless entertainment (“Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo” I’m looking straight at you). This entertainment is not an expression of anything but the brainwashing of society and a smiling executive cashing in on his billions. This is a dystopian world of art, and I fear so many do not even realize it. I want music to progress, but if progress looks like One Direction, I’m abandoning ship.

Will you stand with me? I can’t do this alone, because words are meaningless without action.

1. I believe that Robin Thicke is the Anti-Christ and I support your position.

December 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm

2. Great article and so true. This is why music sales are at an all time low, the stuff the media is pushing on people isn’t good enough to inspire them to buy albums. Meanwhile all the great artists who could change things don’t get heard by the average person. The industry is basically killing itself

August 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm

• Thanks! I knew when I wrote this article I was voicing the opinions that so many individuals had about the current music that is so popular (for all the wrong reasons). I am a very passionate person, and I didn’t set out to write an article with such an angry tone but…that’s how it turned out. It makes me happy to know that the piece resonated with people and didn’t turn them off. Hopefully you’ll stop by my site again!-Derek

August 11, 2014 at 2:29 am

• Brik Phro

Well Put and to the point. I personally hold or own no music from the last 10 years. Reason being, like you stated, i always liked musicians for their unique rhythmic authenticity. and that distinctive flare that came with their own choice of self representation as creative artists. Unfortunately a vast majority seek to hold to this understanding that there is a formula to todays music. Hence the Audience just as well as the Artists revere music as suggested to them. Creativity has been limited in application on both sides of the coin.

January 4, 2015 at 5:56 am

• Exactly! Music is so alive and thriving, but the media and the people keep supporting works that are so uniform. There are glimmers of hope with people like Kendrick Lamar, Bastille, and others, but even then people focus their attention more on Iggy Azalea and so many other crap artists that are posers and not true artists. Thanks for commenting! -Derek

January 4, 2015 at 9:21 am

3. Wholehearted agreement here. Long been a bugbear of mine. There was a slogan not so long ago – ‘home taping is killing music’. Well the taping thing might be ancient history but it’s been replaced with something far worse – ‘manufactured popshite’. The slogan needs an update to something like ‘Simon Cowell is killing music’. And it gets worse…today in the UK there’s a thing doing the rounds on Facebook about the recent Kayne West/Paul McCartney collaboration. It’s a screenshot of a number of tweets from Kayne fans including one which says “…I don’t know who Paul McCartney is but Kayne is going to give this man a career with this new song…” It’s a slippery slope!

January 5, 2015 at 8:38 pm

• Yeah I’ve seen the stuff Simon Cowell has gifted us with…not a pretty sight. Most look to the media for info (duh) and when it’s crap music what can we expect other than those Kanye/McCartney tweets. It’s a shame really, I mean just going off of the UK I’ve interviewed so many independent artists from there on this blog. SO much talent there, but you got X Factor churning out One Direction instead. There’s probably somebody working right now at a Tesco who has the musical talent to change things forever…but their ideas would never fly in today’s industry. Just pisses me off. Appreciate the comment! I’m so glad that long after this article was posted people still talk about it, we need to talk about it.

January 7, 2015 at 11:33 am

• My daughter’s band (MOK – unsigned) is a prime example. Slightly biased opinion maybe- but here’s an abundance of talent and a love of simply playing the music because it’s in the blood. They’ll get there – I’m certain of it – but it’s a crying shame that talent like this goes largely unheard in the shadow of some of the total pants that’s currently out there. (More about MOK here – http://wearemok.com)

January 7, 2015 at 6:14 pm

• thanks for the link man! Yeah we all kinda just have to believe we’ll get somewhere when we get there. My music is so experimental that I really don’t expect a huge audience, but at the same time I won’t lie and say that isn’t something I want.

January 10, 2015 at 9:37 am

4. Reblogged this on jem tunes and commented:
    This is the first time I’ve re-blogged something to Jemtunes. But this is something that anyone and everyone who is serious about music needs to talk about. Because if we don’t, there’a a very real danger that ‘popshiteness’ will take over and swamp us all. Read on and join the conversation….

January 7, 2015 at 6:21 pm

5. Reblogged this on mixolydianblog and commented:

With the GRAMMYs being on today…figured I should reblog this always apropos entry that I made on Mixolydian.

February 8, 2015 at 1:17 pm

6. mikeslayen

There is a dIfference between the ‘music’ scene and the music community. The grammys and popular music in general are a celebrity driven LCD entertainment clique with music as a secondary item…IMO

February 9, 2015 at 8:07 pm

• true man, I’m not even sure why I still watch this shit. lol

February 10, 2015 at 3:15 am

7. Damn straight.

February 24, 2015 at 9:08 pm

8. Marla Barina

Very well said….I agree with everything you have said here. This whole situation has me depressed on a daily basis. I really don not know what musicians, like us, can really do to change things at this point in time……makes me wish I had been born 20 to 50 years earlier…..

October 30, 2015 at 4:58 pm

• The way I look at it is really we have to accept the grim reality. Once we do that we just keep making the music we want to. Hopefully along the way we make a dent.

Thanks for stopping by.

-Derek

November 2, 2015 at 6:32 am

9. Unknown Soul

You’re not alone. I’m with you. That’s why I’m starting a project to help end this rubbish

June 14, 2017 at 3:09 am