Video

Songs from my college years: Charlie Parker “Scrapple from the Apple”

Bird needs no introduction.

1. Indeed, no introduction needed for this guy!

June 3, 2014 at 4:56 am

• changed jazz and music forever. I heard he would practice pieces in all 12 keys. That’s dedication right there.

June 3, 2014 at 5:51 am

2. I think Bird was one of the few greats I never saw in person. They say he could also sight-read and transpose on sight with great skill. He had an interest in cutting-edge physics and rebuilt an old car, making it run. Here endeth another lesson!

June 3, 2014 at 7:19 am

• I had no idea he had an interest in physics and mechanics. It makes sense, considering his intellectual curiosity. It is such a shame so many musicians, including Bird, were heroin addicts. I sincerely wish he could have stuck around for a while longer. We don’t have that many jazz masters left with us.from the good ‘ol days.

June 3, 2014 at 5:49 pm

• I think that, even today, musicians are classed in the same rank as the court jester, ‘Get yourself a proper job lad!’. Some of my own musical colleagues are very clever. People don’t realize how hard we work. They just think ‘Oh, they’re musical. They can just DO all that’. I know, from my own tours in Europe years ago, when I had a bass guitar amp as a seat for hundreds of miles, how much of a strain it could be. We had to make the performance seem fresh and special no matter whether we had slept properly for days or not. I never got into drugs but I did enjoy a drink. It never did me any harm.

June 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm

• oh yeah, life as a musician/composer is so draining. I have panic disorder so, stress requires me to take a xanax when panic hits. It’s not all medicinal though, I meditate and practice qigong to better/enlighten myself, be healthy mentally/physically/spiritually and de-stress. The love of the music keeps us going though right?

June 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm