Derek Kortepeter: “We Are A Lie”

First single off of my upcoming record Cataclysm, due in September 2016.
We are a lie

You hold me down
Break my soul
Force me down
It won’t be the same

Get out while you
Still can

1. Congratulations on your upcoming record, Derek! I really like this first track, the guitar line over those thumping heartbeat drums…

Those lyrics are pretty dark, are they politically motivated (the USA currently)?

August 29, 2016 at 12:28 pm

• yep musically this record is gonna be electronic/rock/trip hop and focus on politics, dystopia, lonliness/isolation, the human condition, and the end of the world. It’s very dark but necessary. Musically I was listening to NIN, Radiohead, Massive Attack, and others for inspiration. So glad you like it!

August 29, 2016 at 12:36 pm

• Wow, this sounds like it’s gonna be a pretty heavy record, in terms of themes. My first read through, it made me wonder if you were doing OK 🙂 but now I know that you know it may be dark, but necessary… except for the end of the world part. I think that’s a bit too far. We need this world, screwed up though it may be, eh? 🙂

August 29, 2016 at 12:39 pm

• Lol yeah the end of the world is just toyed with. Like humans are causing our own annihilation. The album can be viewed as separate topics in a large umbrella of a theme. Alternatively the songs could be bits and pieces of a story. Like part 1984, part Fallout, part Metro 2033? Hard to explain lol.

August 29, 2016 at 1:22 pm

• I really like that, how each track can stand alone or it can all be taken as a whole… kind of like life itself, then! Individual issues, or all together! Holding all of that together musically is a very ambitious project.

I re-read 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 about once a year. I think everyone should…

August 29, 2016 at 1:42 pm

• both of my all time favorite books, really shaped my world view. On this record I get into government Big Brother-esque surveillance via the NSA and the witchhunts against Assange and Snowden.

August 30, 2016 at 3:35 am

• I mean just look at the photo for my single, it is an atomic warhead test at Bikini Atoll. A beautiful island that gets demolished in the name of weapon improvement during the Cold War

August 29, 2016 at 1:24 pm

• That is indeed a very stark, powerful image.

August 29, 2016 at 1:42 pm